Advertisement

Suicide and karma

topic posted Wed, April 2, 2008 - 12:25 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hello all and welcome again to one of my karma questions.

I am not educated in how karma will react to suicide? Do you get bad karma for Honorable suicide? Suicide? Assistant suicide?

All the best ^_^
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: Suicide and karma

Thu, April 3, 2008 - 12:31 AM
    It is the same thing when you kill somebody else,
    fruit doesnt change.

If you dont see suffering, it doesnt mean that it has
    disappeared.

Thu, April 3, 2008 - 8:57 AM
      If you happen to be initiated, it is said
      to be the saeme as killing a deity.
      But Yeshe is correct: killing a human
      is to deprive them of this precious
      human body. You cannot know when
      you or the other might be become
      human again. And Human is the
      best basis for spiritual practice
      and accomplishment. Dying might
      be a brief relief, but the suffering of
      karma continues. Killing a Human
      is a karma for rebirth in a hell-realm.

Thu, April 3, 2008 - 8:58 AM
    Hi Max,
    Karma derived from the word "Karam" means Action.
    As Newton says 'Every action there is an equal and opposite reaction'.
    So based on your action/deeds you get the Karma.You are born to experience some pleasent and some not so pleasent events,based on your past actions(if you are a believer in past lifes).
    The life given is a chance to erase all bad Karmas and when it is done and when the time comes, we leave this world to join God.
    If you kill yourself , you will be going against the ultimate aim of the birth to delete the remains of Karma and make you clean so that you will become one with the God.
    This is not the same as being killed by someone, because here we do not have any part, so only the killer has to wait to balance his karma
  • Unsu...

Re: Suicide and karma

Thu, April 3, 2008 - 8:11 PM
    What is the action saying? What does the action mean to you on a soul level? Killing yourself can be a message of hopelessness, desperation, low self-worth, or self-destruction. Or it could be a message that the body is not sacred, that the body is not a sacred manifestation of god, or that in order to fulfill god's purpose the body must destroy itself. The same physical action can be a slightly different action on an inner level, depending on the belief and the intent of the individual. Whatever the inner action, that is the karma that gets set in motion for future lives. That's my current understanding about it, anyway.

David

Fri, April 4, 2008 - 4:43 PM
    Hi, Max.

As others have pointed out, karma deals with actions. Therefore, the concept of "honorable suicide" is irrelevant to karma. It doesn't matter if it is honorable--and I would contend there is no such thing as honorable suicide--or not. Karma is determined by the action, not by the intent.

Be that as it may, I am far from perfect or perfected! Although I don't believe in the concept of an honorable suicide, I do understand that if a person is undergoing a transition from this life to the next that is long, painful, emotionally exhausting to yourself and your loved ones, and leading to a current life that has immobility, and inability to be cognizant of surrounding and loved ones, etc., such a person may consciously decide to commit suicide.

Were I in that position, I might choose it. Similarly, if I found myself in a position where a woman was being raped and the only way I could stop her attacker was to commit violence on him, perhaps fatal violence, I would do so. I would willingly accept the karma for my actions. There are a lot of things that could be brought up such as, "Well maybe, as a result of her being raped, she would start an organization that would help tens of thousands of rape victims, and by stopping her attacker I would essentially be harming all of those women." Maybe, but maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt, too!

I'm not out to incur karma that I might see as negative later in this life or in a future life, but I also need to do what I think is right.

Namaste!
    • Unsu...

Sat, April 5, 2008 - 9:00 AM
      Very interesting...thank you for sharing....I've taken all your points of view into account fo further mindstorming ^_^
  • Unsu...

Sat, April 5, 2008 - 8:57 AM
    I find it quite logical to infer... The fact that someone is moved towards a suicide is indicative of bad karma in previous birth. I will suggest live the life and do good karma to balance both out, instead of being born again after suicide and still carrying the burden of bad karma.

Sat, April 5, 2008 - 9:46 AM
      Following Siddharth's line of thinking--

Any idea we might consider as a good course of
      action would be based on previous thoughts and
      actions both in this and previous lives. Even in the
      case of insanity (temporary or otherwise) there
      would be previous such patterns. So a meditator
      who honestly looks at their life and mind will notice
      that there's a huge variety of often conflicting thoughts
      and intention passing though. All these mind-actions
      are potential causes for future mind-actions if the